Professional Services Veterinarian
Type: Full time
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
LAC provides veterinary and consulting services to cow-calf and feedlot clients in Southern Alberta and has a long-standing history of serving clients in the Lethbridge area. Professional Services Veterinarians at LAC work with client operations to determine ways to optimize animal health and production. In addition, they are part of the Feedlot Health Management Services Ltd. (Feedlot Health) Consultant Team that provides comprehensive animal health, feedlot production, feeds and feeding, and individual animal management consulting services to commercial feedlots and calf-growers throughout Canada, the USA, and Mexico.
As part of the services provided to clients, Feedlot Health and LAC utilize innovative individual animal data collection systems for real-time animal health monitoring. Feedlot Health also maintains an active applied research and development program which includes activities at LAC.
The Feedlot Health and LAC Consultant Team is currently comprised of 33 professionals with advanced training/recognized expertise in animal health and welfare, animal production, epidemiology, meat science, nutrition, pathology, applied research, statistical analysis, and economic modeling. The professional consultants work together with a 60-65 member support team to provide value-based services to Feedlot Health and LAC clients.
Responsibilities and Job Duties:
A Professional Services Veterinarian at LAC is responsible for providing veterinary services and cattle health management expertise to cow-calf and feedlot clients; which include, but are not limited to:
Cow-Calf and Feedlot Veterinary Services
- Diagnose causes of death in cow-calf and feedlot cattle (in person and via digital imaging)
- Perform selected bovine surgeries
- Perform pregnancy diagnoses and breeding soundness exams
- Conduct individual animal and herd level examinations (in person or via digital imaging)
- Perform regulatory procedures associated with cattle import/export or certification
- Communicate protocols, research findings, recommendations, technical information, etc. to client operations and follow up as needed
- Coordinate and oversee the training of cow-calf and feedlot workers
- Perform other veterinary procedures as required
Cow-Calf and Feedlot Health Management
- Utilize data to monitor health parameters, and perform ad hoc data analysis as needed
- Identify areas of concern and devise action plans and recommendations in conjunction with the entire Consultant Team
- Provide input to clients regarding animal health and production protocols and procedures
- Perform client site visits as required to monitor animal health procedures and events, and to provide ongoing, positive communication
- Education: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree from an accredited veterinary school
- Qualification for licensure with the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association
Terms of Employment:
- Full time, Permanent Position
- Monday – Friday, and participation in the weekend and on-call schedule.
- Group benefit package; Extended Health, Dental, Life Insurance, LTD, STD, Critical Illness, and health spending account.
- Location of work: 141 Broxburn Blvd, Lethbridge AB T1J 4P4
- Work vehicles and equipment are provided.
Apply now - send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Attention: Laura Hoskins, HR Manager.