Cattle Research Project Coordinator
Type: Full time
Location: Okotoks, AB
TELUS Agriculture is a great place to work. You can see it in our team members. The diversity of the team and their unique contributions set us apart from the competition. Our success is based as much on our future friendly team as the innovative technology solutions we offer.
Our team members include people like you – enthusiastic, innovative, passionate and energetic. We believe that you’ll find our high-performance culture personally fulfilling, professionally challenging and financially rewarding.
Feedlot Health Management Services (Feedlot Health) is North America’s premier feedlot consulting service. We work with feedlots and calf grower operations to determine ways to optimize production efficiency and overall animal health. We support our clients through consultation with our industry professionals and the use of our proprietary software systems.
Here is the impact you will make and what we will accomplish together.
The Cattle Research Project Coordinator (CRPC) facilitates the smooth conduct of Feedlot Health research studies in feedlot cattle and dairy calf grower production settings. The CRPC works closely with Research Team Management in the development and maintenance of research policies, procedures, systems, and training tools to continually improve project implementation, data accuracy, and Team productivity. Come join us to work in the agricultural industry, learn about research procedures, improve data management skills, and work with a great Team to support animal welfare and cattle productivity!
- An energetic and dynamic company that focuses on employee engagement and retention
- A supportive environment with strong management and experienced existing team to work towards success in the role and skill/career development
- Studies conducted on animal health, feeds and nutrition, performance enhancement, procurement, and marketing strategies
- Feedlot study types include small-pen, large-pen, individual-animal, and GrowSafe-pen designs
- Dairy calf grower study types include individual animal hutch and corral designs
- Studies conducted in Canada, the USA, Mexico, Kazakhstan, and Brazil
- Coordinating all aspects of research study implementation/execution (start to finish)
- Field work (20% of role) conducted at local commercial feedlots throughout the year
- Communication and coordination with client site cattle managers to ensure smooth implementation of the studies
- Sample collection (nasal samples, fecal samples, feed samples), organization, and shipping
- Accessing data from multiple sources and compiling large Excel spreadsheets of animal health and production data
- and assembling health and feed data over time
- Results compilation (tables, reports, PowerPoint presentations, etc.)
- Training in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Working with SQL and report automation
- Assisting with technical writing (executive summaries, final reports, and manuscripts)
What you bring to this role:
- A Master’s Degree in animal science, agriculture, epidemiology, or other relevant areas with extra consideration given to those with prior skills or experience conducting research
- Strong coordination, organization, prioritization, time-management, critical-thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer skills and moderate to advanced proficiency using Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work individually and in a team environment
- Basic understanding of feedlot production or the cattle industry
- Confidence working around cattle
- The successful candidate will have to undergo a criminal record check as a condition of their employment
To apply for this position, please click on the link: https://www.agcareers.com/telus-agriculture/cattle-research-project-manager-job-881876.cfm